You want to sell your Fort Worth house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Fort Worth“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar that the market will bear:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Fort Worth house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Do a Deep Clean Inside and Out! A clean home communicates to buyers that the home has been well cared for and makes the idea of buying the home more appealing. Hire a professional for the deep clean if necessary. You will need to dust everything everywhere. Wash the windows, the sills and ledges and the baseboards. Wash any marks off of the walls, baseboards, trim, light switches and doors. Vacuum and mop throughout. Shampoo rugs and carpets. Make all the countertops, surfaces, tubs sinks, showers, and fixtures shine. You’ll need to do some of these things regularly incase there is a showing. Before you leave each day, tidy up by making the beds, putting away personal toiletries, straightening up the living areas, and putting away the kid’s toys and pet supplies.
2) Update Fixtures, Hardware and Paint. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, but be careful, dark colors will make rooms feel small. But now is the time to repair any nicks, or scratches, holes, or places paint has chipped. You’ll want to paint over any extremely bright or dark walls with neutral colors like ivory, beige, gray, white, or taupe. Replacing outdated light fixtures and hardware on cabinets and doors with an updated modern style will go a long way towards transforming each room. It is a very inexpensive way to modernize the overall look and feel of the home.
If you don’t have time to make these adjustments spend the money to hire professionals to do the work. People will pay more money for a property that is looking clean, fresh with walls in mostly neutral colors that allow them to easily imagine themselves decorating and making the house their new home.
3) How To Decide What To Repair/Replace. Talk to a local, experienced real estate agent in your area to get their opinion on what to repair and what you can leave as is. They will be attuned to the popular trends of what buyers are looking for and they will also know what will give you the most bang for your buck. That said it might be best to get a home inspection and start with that report to guide you as to what items are the highest priority to repair. It’s often a good use of money to do this before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel very comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
As for doing a remodel sometimes it makes sense and other times it would be a waste of money. An experienced real estate agent is a good guide for this and they can also suggest ways you can make lower cost improvements.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
If possible go ahead and repair caulking that’s cracked, touch up the grout, make small drywall repairs, add a fresh coat of paint and clean the house really well. Definitely replace old wiring, repair exposed wires and outdated electrical service panels, dangling light fixtures, circuit breakers, or ungrounded outlets.
If appliances don’t match or are more than 10 years old, are not energy efficient, or are worn or not functioning properly it can hurt your home sale. Do replace these with used or new appliances that are functioning and that are a good fit for the space. Standard new appliances don’t have to cost a fortune to add a lot to the overall impression.
You don’t need to start or finish a remodel in order to sell your home. You don’t need to repair things like driveway cracks or building code issues that were grandfathered in. But doing what you can to add to the curb appeal is advised. You can make sure the grass is mowed and the trees and shrubs are trimmed. If needed you can add a coat of paint to the exterior. You can add mulch and flowers to the flower beds and consider adding some simple outdoor furniture to the porch.
5) Get expert opinions. A great real estate agent or broker in your corner is a great support. They can help you price your home correctly and help you get the highest value for your property.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own. If you’re planning to market the property on your own you’ll need to take professional photos and videos and do a great job of getting the house listed on social media as well as the most
7) As an alternative consider getting a cash offer. At Texas Best Homebuyers we have been helping people with their real estate needs in the Fort Worth area for more than 25 years. We would be happy to list your home on the MLS (Multiple Listing Service) and help you sell your home the more traditional way. We are very experienced with this method and can help you to get the best sales price for your home. However, we also work with people to find solutions for selling distressed homes, and help owners who need to sell their house fast to do so. Call us anytime if you have questions or if you’d like a free, no hassle, no obligation situation evaluation. We buy houses all over the Fort Worth area, and we do everything we can to make the sale as quick and easy on you as possible, so you don’t have to deal with ANY of the things we have been discussing here.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Fort Worth TX House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds and the time to do these things... AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market… then you’ll be better off financially to do those thing, and then list it through a real estate agent on the MLS (Multiple Listing Service)
If you don’t have the funds and the time to do these things... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Fort Worth house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website. We’ll evaluate your house, make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing it on your own or the more traditional route.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Fort Worth“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Fort Worth, we would love to be of service.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.